Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chi explosion and out of state rescue savior!

I'm not fond of Chihuahuas. They've never liked me much. And lately they seem to be EVERYWHERE - multiple chis and chi mixes running the kennels at the OKC shelter, so most of the time I just walk by. But while doing health checks on Sunday at the shelter a momma dog and her four puppies caught my eye. At not quite 5 weeks old they aren't even available for the public, but it was still surprising no rescue had signed up to take them. They were due to be euthanized on Tuesday morning. I said I would foster if I couldn't find anyone else, and luckily another group from outside the city said they would take them. *whew*

(Side note: I still ended up fostering the 4 month old scruff-tastic pug / wire-hair terrier (??) mix that I signed up to take.)

In other news, an emaciated boxer momma and her seven mixed breed pups came into the Chickasha shelter. A local boxer rescue took the momma (full blood) but not the pups. :( As a last ditch effort (24 hours before they were to be euthanized), my friend sent me her cousin's email, who had supposedly been involved in boxer rescue in Kansas. I didn't hold out much hope. Then, holy crap, a boxer rescue in Arkansas calls me last night, saying a group in New Hampshire can take the pups! I freakin love the internet! Anyway, we were able to get a stay of execution on them with promise we would pick them up today, and now (thanks to my boyfriend) they are waiting for me to come home and take pictures. :)

1 comment: