Friday, September 3, 2010

Sometimes It's Too Much

Anyone who's ever worked for a cause and tried to make a difference faces the point of exhaustion. The question of whether any good has come of your actions, or if we're just treading water.

I constantly fight burnout. I don't have puppies right now, but I am fostering 3 basset hounds (two have shed their kennel cough, while the skinny one is still fighting it off), and still have the momma cat with 4 five-ish week old kittens. I'm not crushingly exhausted right now, but I want to post what a friend said as a reminder that my actions DO make a difference. She posted this on BAD RAP's facebook page.

"I moved to Oklahoma City 5 years ago and it has been a very eye opening experience when it comes to dog rescue and abuse. I have always loved pound puppies and even adopted one back in DC, but it wasnt until I moved here and became best fr...iends with hardcore animal rescuer/ volunteer / transporter / foster mom that I really understood how very important it was to adopt and not to buy.

She opened my eyes to what happens behind the scenes. I saw first hand what happens to the dogs and cats that dont make it to adoption. It is incredibly shocking. You become so overwhelmed with emotion. You fly from anger to sadness and back again in just a matter of seconds. Most people only see the happy wiggly dogs who get to find homes. Not having to walk down death row and having to pick who lives and who dies.

Because of her I truly began to understand how important adoption is. How important it is to spay and neuter (even though I have always done it because it was the "right thing to do"). How important it was to become a foster or a volunteer. AND because of her I found Capone. Capone is my amazing wonderful Pit Bull. He was on death row in a small Kansas town because of their ridiculous and ignorant BSL law. Not a day has gone by in the last year and a half that I am not grateful to have him in my life.

Because of people like Amber (my bestfriend) I have become a foster, a voluteer and most important - I am no longer blind. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. I thank you for continuing to push on even when you believe your heart has become numb and you think you can no longer take it. Thank you for saving so many wonderful fur-babies. Thank you so much for fighting for those who dont have a voice.

Thank you so very much. ♥ "

No comments:

Post a Comment